Frequently Asked Questions

  • General Topics
  • Training Courses
  • Operations
  • Legal / Legislative / Regulatory
  • Membership & Association Information

General Topics

Q. Where can I file a complaint about a restaurant or hotel?
A. We suggest you first contact the manager of the establishment. If there is any concern of safety or sanitation, contact the appropriate regulatory agency, i.e., Oregon Health Authority. ORLA is a trade organization representing the hospitality industry, we are not a regulatory agency, so we do not register complaints regarding businesses. 

Q. Where can we post a job opening?
A. Many hospitality businesses in Oregon use, Craig’s List, or other resources. ORLA does not offer a job posting site for members at this time.

Q. Where can I get a list of restaurants in Oregon?
A. ORLA members can request a list of restaurants in Oregon, including custom parameters based on location, category, and size of operation. However, we do not share email addresses. 

Q. How do I submit an article or press release to be published in one of the association’s publications?
A. ORLA will give consideration to articles and news relevant and valuable to the industry. Please review our submission guidelines on ORLA’s website.

Training Courses

Q. How do I reprint my Food Handler Card?
A. Once you have passed the Food Handler course, you may return at any time to reprint your Food Handler Card from the My Account page. When logged in, click My Account in the left sidebar. Under Recent Purchases you’ll see the courses you’ve completed, and you can reprint your card from the Print column.

Q. I’ve been locked out of the Alcohol Server Course online, how do I get back in?
A. Please contact ORLA’s training support line at 866.679.6733.

Q. I took the Alcohol Server (Initial or Renewal) Course online, but OLCC doesn’t have a record of the exam.
A. If you believe there is an issue with the transmission of your test scores to the OLCC, contact Sue Smith for assistance.

For more training FAQs, visit our training website at


 Q. What’s the difference between tips and service charges

A. Tips are discretionary (optional or extra) payments determined by a customer that employees receive from customers. Tips include: a) Cash tips received directly from customers, b) Tips from customers who leave a tip through electronic settlement or payment, c) The value of any non-cash tips, such as tickets, or other items of value, d) Tip amounts received from other employees paid out through tip pools or tip splitting, or other formal or informal tip sharing arrangement, e) Certain factors are used to determine whether payments constitute tips or service charges: 1) The payment must be made free from compulsion; 2) The customer must have the unrestricted right to determine the amount; 3) The payment should not be the subject of negotiations or dictated by employer policy; and generally, the customer has the right to determine who receives the payment. For more information, download the IRS webinar slides.

Q. Is there an OSHA requirement for what must be in a first aid kit for restaurants?
A. OSHA has outlined standards with a list of “minimally acceptable” first-aid supplies. The US Dept. of Labor states, "Employers are required to provide medical and first aid personnel and supplies commensurate with the hazards of the workplace. The details of a workplace medical and first aid program are dependent on the circumstances of each workplace and employer.”

Q. How long do I need to keep credit card receipts from customers? 
A. You must securely retain legible copies of all sales drafts and credit drafts or any other transaction records for:
  • MasterCard and Visa: A period of eighteen (18) months from the date of each transaction.  
  • Discover: For the longer of 365 days or the resolution of any pending or threatened disputes, claims, disagreements or litigation involving the card transaction. you must also keep images or other copies of sale drafts for no less than three (3) years from the date of the Discover Network transaction.  
  • American Express: For 24 months from the date you submitted the corresponding credit. You must also provide a copy of the credit draft to the card member or as required by applicable law, truncate the card number and do not print the card’s expiration date.
Q. Can I have an expiration date on the gift cards I sell?
A. Oregon statutes require gift cards to be issued without an expiration date, if sold at full value. There are exceptions, ie., if donated or provided at a discount that the law does not apply.

Q. Where do I find wage and salary information for the hospitality industry?
A. ORLA members have access to a number of resources and links on ORLA’s website for industry information. General salary information can also be found:
Q. Where do I find lodging tax information and rates?
A. The Oregon Department of Revenue collects the statewide lodging tax (1%), but does not administer local lodging taxes for cities or counties. For general information and resources on the statewide lodging tax, visit the Department of Revenue: Business Taxes. ORLA members have access to local lodging tax information and resources at (log in required).

Q. What lodging tax rate do I use for reservations paid in full prior to July 1, 2016?
A. Apply the current tax rate at the time of payment. For payments in advance of the July 1 rate change, the provider should be collecting 1% tax regardless of when the stay occurs. The provider should also be remitting the tax for the quarter in which they collect the tax – not waiting until after the stay has completed. We have some really good examples in the letter that will go out to the lodging tax collectors next month that should clear this up for them.

Legal / Legislative / Regulatory

Q. Who can I contact with a question regarding a specific law / regulation / legislative issue?
A. If you have legal questions relating to employment law or regulatory issues, we recommend you contact legal counsel. Otherwise, if it’s a general question regarding industry-specific issues, contact ORLA Government Affairs at 503.682.4422 or 800.462.0619. For a staff directory please visit

Q. Can a lodging facility save a block of rooms that they do not allow pets to stay in, including service animals? 
A. This specific example is not directly addressed in ADA publications, but the main point of ADA law is to ensure “equivalent service to those with disabilities.” In the case that a block of non-animal designated rooms were the only rooms left available for the night, and a patron with a service animal arrived, the hotel would not be allowed to refuse service to this individual based on the designation of allergenic rooms. Additionally, this block of rooms could not offer more or better amenities or services than those rooms provided for other guests. Businesses that serve the public generally must allow service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of the facility where the public is normally allowed. Read more at ADA Requirements for Service Animals

Q. Can I require random drug testing in my business?
A. Yes but workforce random testing programs should include the entire workforce. To eliminate or excuse certain employees from the company random testing program would expose an employer to discriminatory, liability and other legal issues. An employer has the right to customize a workforce random testing program to include the entire workforce but set the frequency and total number of tests to be done annually to their desired needs and ensure the “scientific” selection process included a pool of the entire workforce.

Q. What are my legal requirements in letting staff know of the weekly rate increase in the rooms they stay in? 
A. The rates for the rooms should be clearly notified to the worker and set forth in the company’s policies and procedures, otherwise clearly notify in writing so there is no confusion. That notice should be saved in their records with some note indicated who was notified and when. 

Q. Is it legal to require employees (servers) to provide a small, initial outlay of cash to be used as change, the amount of which they keep at the end of the shift (in other words, the servers never lose any money by using their own funds as change)? 
A. Although there isn’t a specific prohibition of this kind of practice, the state’s wage and hour regulations do not permit certain charges/costs to be passed on to an employee. For more information, visit BOLI’s Wage and Hour Division.

Q. Does a portable pool lift meet ADA requirements?
A. If a portable lift was purchased after March 15, 2012, the obligation to remove barriers is an ongoing one. If it becomes readily achievable to attach the lift to the pool at a later date you must do so. Read more pool lift FAQs at

Q. Can I charge overnight parking fees in the hotel garage for ADA / accessible spaces?
A. Yes; the language around "accessible parking" is only specific to having available a certain number of accessible parking spots and giving access to those spots, not any fees associated. So, if overnight parking is charged for all guests, that includes ADA /accessible spaces too. For more questions, contact the Northwest ADA Center.

Q. What advice do you have on workplace drug policies (including marijuana)?
A. Employers are advised to have a clear policy, ensure employees are aware of the policy, and be sure the policy is consistently enforced. Read more at Expert Beacon.

Membership & Association Information

Q. Can I fill out an online membership application?
A. Yes. Go to and click the link for the type of membership you are interested in, then complete the online form and pay by credit card.

Q. Can I download a membership application and mail it with a check?
A. Yes. Go to and click the link for the type of membership you are interested in, and then click the link to the membership application pdf.

Q. How do I update my profile?
A. Members of ORLA can log in to to access premium information and resources, register for classes and events, renew their membership, and update their member profiles and contact information. Simply click the Sign In link in the upper right corner and enter credentials. If you are looking for your credentials, contact or call 503.682.4422.

Q. How do I find out my (NRA or AH&LA) member number?
A. Restaurants can contact NRA at 855.514.8115 or email Hotels can contact AH&LA at 202.289.3100 or email

Q. How do I log in to the Vendor Directory?
A. Go to and click Sign In link (upper right corner) to enter your username and password. Contact if you need your credentials.

Q. How can I become an endorsed provider of ORLA?
A. Associate members interested in the potential for an endorsed business relationship with ORLA must meet a set of criteria. While not the sole determinants for such consideration of endorsed service, the criteria provide guidance as to what meets “suitability” for consideration, including five key factors for endorsement consideration. To discuss possible endorsement by ORLA, contact Director of Development, Marla McColly, at

Q. Is my PAC contribution tax deductible? 
A. Any contribution to ORLAPAC is a political contribution, which is not deductible but may qualify for an Oregon tax credit. A suggested political contribution has been included in your dues statement. ORLA estimates the non-deductible portion of your dues; the portion which is allocated to lobbying is 33%.
Q. How can we get a copy of a W-9 for ORLA?
A. The accounting department can provide a W-9 for ORLA, ORLA Member Services, Northwest Foodservice Show, ORLA Education Foundation, and ORLAPAC upon request. Call 503.682.4422 or email